Learn How to Implement a Parish Advocate Position
This online course provides you with the tools and resources necessary to create parish advocate positions in your diocese. You'll learn about the responsibilities, qualities, and models of parish advocates, as well as how to approach Church leaders and expand the ministry.
- GAIN KNOWLEDGE OF THE DIOCESAN STRUCTURE - In order to create a sustainable parish advocate ministry, it's important to understand the diocesan structure. This course will teach you about the different departments and offices within the diocese so that you can better collaborate with them in your advocacy work.
- RESPONSIBILITIES OF A PARISH DISABILITY ADVOCATE - The Parish Disability Advocate is responsible for educating the parish community about disabilities, connecting people with resources, and advocating on behalf of those living with a disability. This online course will teach you the qualities needed for this important role, as well as various models for implementing the ministry.
- RECEIVE TRAINING FROM EXPERTS - The Parish Advocate course is led by four diocesan disability ministry leaders with decades of experience. The presenters are:
Office of Ministry with People with Disabilities,
Diocese of Harrisburg
Office of Deaf and
Archdiocese of Washington
Sr. Kathleen Schipani, IHM
Sr. Kathleen Schipani, IHM
Office for Persons with Disabilities
and the Deaf Apostolate
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Office of Disabilities Ministry
Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Overview of Training (2:36)
- Initial Training (3:20)
- Theological and Scriptural Elements (3:08)
- Ecclesial Documents (1:30)
- Skills and Qualities of an Advocate (3:23)
- Disability Centered (2:04)
- Broad Range of Disabilities (2:23)
- Access and Universal Design (2:10)
- What Does Belonging Look Like (0:27)
- Ministry Related Trainings (1:00)
- Resource Centered and New Resources (1:24)
- Ongoing Training and Support (2:18)
- How do you talk to Pastors and Priests (0:47)
- Success Story: St. Rose of Lima Parish (6:50)
- Where to Start when you are in a Diocesan Department other than Disability Ministry (2:46)
- How to Expand when Current Ministry has Two Events a Year? (2:41)
- How to Advocate to an Ordinary who Sees this Ministry as a Niche? (4:16)
- Are Parish Surveys Recommended? (3:06)
Are you interested in creating a more inclusive parish community?
This online course provides you with the tools and resources necessary to create parish advocate positions. You'll learn about the responsibilities, qualities, and models of parish advocates, as well as how to approach Church leaders and expand the ministry.
Advocate for those who are often left unheard - persons with disabilities! With this training, you will be empowered to make parish communites more welcoming and inclusive for all.
Enroll now and gain access to this insightful course!
Check out these other NCPD courses that help develop a foundation in disability ministry.